Skip to main content

Fleas and Worms


We seem always to be harping on about fleas. The truth is we see so many flea related diseases that they are worth harping on about. By far the greatest problem fleas cause is dermatitis (skin inflammation) caused by the fleas’ bites. Some animals become especially sensitised to flea saliva and develop F.A.D. (flea allergic dermatitis) where a single flea bite can send them into acute, obsessive scratching or licking, with hair loss and sometimes secondary bacterial infection of the skin. Furthermore it is a lesser fact that fleas carry tapeworm. So a “fleasy” dog or cat is also potentially a “wormy” dog.

Did you know that the adult flea is only 5% of the problem? The remaining 95% exist as a pupae, larvae or eggs in your home!!!

Regular preventative flea treatment of both cats and dogs is a must all year round, but especially in spring/summer when the reproductive cycle speeds up. We find the most effective flea treatments are the liquid ‘spot on’ varieties that are applied to the skin at the back of the neck. Depending on the product these should be applied every 4-8 weeks.

It is important if you are treating any animal in your house that you treat every animal in the household. If you have found fleas it is best to also treat the environment – clean the bedding and potentially flea bomb the house.


Protecting your dog or cat against worms is as much a part of pet care as good diet and the right sort of exercise. Worms are important because they affect the condition of your pet and they can be unhealthy for you and your family.

Puppies need worming at the following times:

  • every 2 weeks until 12 weeks old
  • every month from 12 weeks – 6 months old
  • after 6 months old – every 3 months

Kittens need worming at the following times:

  • 6 to 16 weeks of age should be wormed every three weeks
  • from 4 months onward cats and kittens should be wormed every 3 months

What are the symptoms that my puppy or kitten has worms?

  • Loss of appetite
  • Poor coat condition
  • A pot belly appearance – especially in kittens
  • They suffer weight loss
  • Stunted growth
  • Diarrhoea (sometimes bloody diarrhoea)
  • Vomiting or vomiting up a worm
  • Anemia – pale gums
  • Worm segments around the anal area. These segments look like small grains of rice or sesame seeds
  • Continual licking of the anal area

Click here to contact the clinic to talk about your flea & worm needs…